- Smithsonian Astrophysical
Observatory (SAO) (Smithsonian Institution): Predoctoral Fellowships
- Annual award to allow doctoral students from other institutions
throughout the world to conduct dissertation research at the extensive
facilities of the Observatory for one to three years.
- FIELD OF STUDY:
- All branches of astronomical and astrophysical research,
including atomic and molecular physics, high energy astrophysics,
optical and infrared astronomy, planetary sciences, radio and
geoastronomy, solar and stellar physics, and theoretical astrophysics.
- Doctoral students who have completed coursework and the A Exam
and who are ready to begin their research. Applicants must have the
approval of their home institution to participate in the fellowship
program. There is no citizenship restriction. Applicants should contact
directly SAO scientists to discuss possible research topics.
- Annual stipend of $21,500, which may be renewed for up to 2
- April 15
Consult Web site for further information and application forms.
Secretary, Predoctoral Fellowship Committee, Smithsonian Astrophysical
Laboratory, 60 Garden Street, Mail Stop 47, Cambridge, MA 02138 E-mail: